Kennesaw & Tucker, GA, dental office offers orthodontics services
Many Kennesaw & Tucker, GA, patients wish their teeth were straighter but consider braces and orthodontics treatments a rite of passage for kids, not adults. In fact, many adults need orthodontic treatment, either to correct misalignment that was never addressed or to realign teeth that shifted after orthodontic treatment as a child or a teenager.
Invisalign orthodontic treatment for adults
If the word “orthodontic” makes you think of square brackets with metal wire on your teeth and brings back memories of adolescence, think again. Technology for orthodontics has advanced significantly in recent years. Now most adults can straighten their teeth, adjust poor bite alignment, and improve their smiles without needing to relive their high-school nightmares. Additionally, these results can often be achieved in less time, for less cost, and, without the disadvantages that metal braces, sharp wires, and rubber bands present.
Invisalign orthodontic treatment includes a series of clear alignment trays. Each tray is worn for approximately two weeks before the patient moves on to the next tray in the series. The treatment is effective and requires fewer office visits than traditional orthodontic treatment. Invisalign also offers several additional benefits over traditional braces, including:
- Clear alignment trays. These durable plastic trays are worn nearly 24 hours a day but are virtually invisible to your friends and colleagues. They gently shift your teeth into place without announcing to the world that you’re having work done.
- Removable trays. With traditional braces, patients can’t enjoy many of their favorite foods because they present the risk of breaking the bracket or snapping the wire. However, with Invisalign, the alignment trays can be removed when you eat. Therefore, patients don’t need to avoid hard or chewy food items.
- Easier cleaning, healthier mouth. With removable trays, patients don’t have to use special instruments or threading devices in order to brush their teeth effectively. Instead they can remove the trays, brush and floss as normal, and then brush the trays to prevent food particles and bacteria from becoming trapped on the tooth’s enamel. With this easier cleaning routine, patients have less risk of cavities or damaging the enamel of their teeth.
- Effective treatment. It may seem impossible that you can achieve such great results without traditional braces. However, Invisalign is highly respected as an effective treatment to improve the alignment of your teeth and the appearance of your smile. Furthermore, when teeth are properly aligned, there are fewer places for food and bacteria to hide, leading to better oral health overall.
Will Invisalign work for me?
Invisalign works for most adults who have minor misalignment. In some cases, these are patients who had braces as a teen, but experienced shifting as they got older. In other cases, patients have never undergone orthodontic treatment before. Most patients achieve a properly aligned smile in less than two years. It is important to note that compliance is important. While the alignment trays can be removed, they should be worn for at least 22 hours each day in order to achieve the best and fastest results. Invisalign does not work well for patients who have significant misalignment.
Oral health benefits of orthodontic treatment
While orthodontics may seem like treatment to address only a cosmetic flaw, improperly aligned teeth can have serious oral health implications. Teeth that are crowded can increase pressure on the remaining teeth and lead to headaches and pain in the jaw. Additionally, teeth that are misaligned can cause small gaps or pockets where food can become trapped, leading to tooth decay or gum disease. Therefore, ensuring proper alignment for your teeth is important for your oral health
Finding the right dentist and office for your orthodontic treatment
If you’ve decided that now is the time to get the smile you’ve always wanted, it’s important to find a dentist who will help you achieve your goals. When looking for a dentist to provide your Invisalign treatment, consider the following:
- Education and experience: The Invisalign treatment may seem simple, but that doesn’t mean that you don’t need an experienced and educated dentist to perform the treatment. The dentist you choose will take x-rays and dental impressions that will be used to create your customized treatment plan and trays. The dentist will also monitor your progress, ensure that the trays are working as they should, and adjust your treatment if you’re not progressing properly.
- Convenience: While Invisalign treatment requires fewer office visits than traditional orthodontics, patients undergoing this treatment will still need to check in with their dentist occasionally during the process that can take up to two years. Ensuring that you have convenient access by selecting a dental practice that’s near your home or office and that their office hours work with your schedule will save you headaches down the line.
- Cost and Payment options: The cost of your Invisalign treatment will depend on many variables including the severity of misalignment, the number of trays that are required, and the length of treatment. Still, it may be important to compare costs and payment options across several dental practices.
- Trust: Many adult orthodontic patients prefer to work with a dentist they already know and trust. By opting for a dentist who provides other services, patients can feel confident that the dentist fully understands his oral health history and already has a relationship with the patient. Further, combining orthodontic visits with general checkups can help patients maximize their time.
Now’s the time to improve your smile
The team at Dentistry at Kennesaw Point provides a full suite of dental services including preventative, restorative, and cosmetic dental solutions that help make sure your smile is as happy and as healthy as possible. If you’ve been hiding your smile behind closed lips or feeling less than confident when you grin, call Dr. Kalantari at Dentistry at Kennesaw Point today to schedule a consultation. Dr. Kay and the team can help you determine the best orthodontic treatment option to achieve the results you want and deserve. To schedule an appointment, call (678) 275-2066 – Kennesaw & (678) 580-3060 – Tucker.